What is Ransomware?
If there is one thing you need to do this month, it is to protect your computer against ransomware!
Those who have, in the past, fallen victim to ransomware attacks will know the importance of this. However, if you do not know what it is, ransomware is a malicious hardware that is installed in your computer and will only be removed once you pay a “ransom” – often a large some of money. You will not be able to work on any files in your computer while it is being held ransom.
If you do not have an effective anti-virus package on your computer, it will be easy to get infected with ransomware. This kind of virus is caught through visiting compromised websites, email attachments that you click on and infected programs.
There are several different kinds of ransomware but, essentially, they can all do the following things:
- Demand that you pay a “ransom” or even complete surveys before they allow access or release the encryption key to you.
- Prevent Windows for working on your computer – blocking you from access to your PC’s files due to their encryption and stopping apps (such as your web browser) from functioning. It is not all
- doom and gloom, though because you CAN prevent ransomware from occurring! Do not become a victim to this terrible crime. Instead always ensure that your PC’s anti-virus is up to date.
- Never open any questionable or suspicious attachments or emails and, if you’re using Internet Explorer, turn on your Smart Screen! Your web browser’s pop-up blocker should also be turned on.
- Most importantly, never pay the ransom as this does not necessarily ensure that your computer will be released back to you!
If you have any questions or concerns about ransomware, do not hesitate to contact us as we can gladly help you!